I do not subscribe to the view that art is a magical once-in-a-lifetime secret opportunity that you need mysterious hidden knowledge to master. It isn’t. Some people grow up in a house with a music room containing a piano & a cello & a harp and learn that stuff from the day they were born & some people do not.
If you didn’t, that doesn’t mean you can’t learn. Those privileged people have all the same things as you can have, but you might need a leg up to find out things that others were just born with. This doesn’t make them better than you, just luckier.
If you care about a thing, learn it, practice it, ask questions of people who know, improve by failing a little harder every day & eventually, you will be the thing that you feel like you are.
That’s what happened to me.
My photographs all have the metadata attached so if you care, you can see what settings I used. Click through the galleries to see the detail. I shoot in manual mode because I’m a control freak but it’s nothing you can’t do yourself. I use the equipment listed below to make things with, some of it belongs to Josienne & some of it belongs to me & we share it all.
If you’re curious how I made a picture or a sound, get in touch and I would be happy to share. Meantime, here is a list of our stuff for people who enjoy knowing that stuff, like me!
Guitar & Bass Equipment
- Gibson Advanced jumbo acoustic guitar
- Alvarez MD60 jumbo acoustic guitar
- Custom NCG Telecaster electric guitar
- Gibson ES120t electric guitar (1956)
- Danelectro Baritone electro guitar
- Custom finish Squier Precision bass guitar w/bare knuckle p/ups.
- Ken Miller 3/4 double / upright bass (2006)
- Alamansa 447 nylon strung acoustic guitar
- Cornell Romany Plus amp
- Cornell Traveller amp
- Fender Deluxe Reverb amp (1970s)
- Markbass CMD 121 bass amp
- Various secret pedals I can’t tell you about yet for other reasons
Camera Equipment – Digital & 35mm
- Canon 5D mkiii – digital camera
- Canon 1v – 35mm film camera
- Canon C100 mkii – cinema / movie camera
- Sigma Art 105mm f1.4 lens
- Sigma Art 35nn f/1.4 lens
- Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L lens
- Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 US ii L lens
Camera Equipment – Medium Format
- 2 * Pentax 67 – 120 medium format camera w/ metered prism
- Pentax 55mm 120 medium format lens
- Pentax 105mm -120 medium format lens
- Pentax 75mm – 75mm medium format lens
Camera Equipment – Accessories
- Various Tiffen Black / Pro Mist / Polarpro filters
- Various Prism FX modifiers
- Shoulder Rig (Vocas, Shape, Wooden Camera)
- Atomos Ninja HD Recorder
- Miller Air Video Tripod
- 3 Legged Thing Tripod
- Sound Devices MixPre3 ii
- Sennheiser MKH416 Microphone & rycote shield
- Ronin M1 Gimbal
- All Peli cased, Mindshift bagged, charged & ready to shoot.
- 2* Profoto B10+ with diffusers, umbrellas & softlight adapters
- 2* Profoto D2 1000 with white beauty dish, grid & softlight diffusers
- Aputure 120d ii with large softlight diffuser
- Aputure Nova PC300 with softbox
- Profoto Canon AirTTL controller